Wednesday, April 29, 2015

CrunchyRoundup: My Love Story!! 4, The Nameko Families, Onee-chan Ga Kita!, Time of Eve: The Movie

I've been getting back into anime something fierce, between the rise of the mini-series, with 5 minute episodes that fit perfectly into my study breaks, and my Crunchyroll sub, so I wondered: Why am I not blogging about all the new stuff I've watched? This is CrunchyRoundup.





First off, if you haven't been watching My Love Story!! and consider yourself a shojo fan, you should get on that. Every episode has managed to be more adorable than the last, and episode 4 is no exception. I had warm fuzzies the entire time I was watching this story about a boy who has the heart of a lover and the body of a sumo wrestler. 

(Actually, watch it if you consider yourself a shonen fan too. It's basically what happens when you stuff an old school action hero into a romantic setting.)

A+




The Nameko Families is a simple, slice of life family story mini-series in which the characters just happen to be mushrooms. I personally found it really sweet and charming, but I can see how some may want their anime to be a little more exciting.

B




Onee-chan Ga Kita! left me baffled and unsatisfied in the midst of its cuteness. In this mini-series, a young boy gets a rather... affectionate older sister (I get the vibe - I hope - they were going for a platonic older sister complex. It's hard to tell with some of this stuff.) At times its sweet, but it also feels like too many characters were shoved into the series' short timespan who never got developed further than a single-episode gag.

C



A special treat this week was Time of Eve: The Movie, which had a limited run on Crunchyroll before releasing to DVD (the series is still available on CR, however). I really enjoyed the concept, but the execution could have been better. The film felt split in too many directions, and I've seen the concept of "what is the line between man and machine?" explored in more fascinating ways. All the same, it was a memorable experience, and I'd like to visit the film's setting. Drinking coffee with robots sounds awesome.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts